Saturday, October 17, 2009

This Week on 42nd Street -- 1979


Here are the double and triple features that played the Deuce thirty years ago this week. Theaters are listed in east-to-west order.

North Side of the Street

Victory: KUNG FU MASTER, BRUCE LEE STYLE / LIGHTNING SWORDS OF DEATH / THE HOT, THE COOL, AND THE VICIOUS

Lyric: NURSE SHERRI / HOUSE OF PSYCHOTIC WOMEN

Times Square: SCREAMS OF A WINTER NIGHT / THE REDEEMER

Selwyn: ROCKY II / EBONY, IVORY & JADE


South Side of the Street

New Amsterdam: THE KOREAN CONNECTION / THE BIG RIP-OFF

Cine 42
Theater I: THE HITTER / GOOD GUYS WEAR BLACK
Theater II: THE LEGACY / CHAMPION OF DEATH

Harris: EDGE OF FURY / SNUFF

Liberty: PATRICK / BODY SNATCHER FROM HELL

Empire: BRONSON LEE, CHAMPION / SOUL OF CHIBA / PORK CHOPPER

Anco: ALIEN / DAMIEN: OMEN II

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I still have all my teeth and hair, but being reminded of 42nd Street in 1979 was quite a shocker because I was there.

In fact, the first films I ever saw on the strip were "Nurse Sherri" and "House of Psychotic Women". This was spring of 1979. I went with a very persuasive Hunter College classmate of mine and we each paid $1.75 for the double bill. That was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. For the next five years she and I saw every horror/exploitation film on that strip and throughout Times Square. The film-going ended but fortunately she and I are still best buddies today. In fact, she sent me the link to your blog.

My favorite film of that genre? "Mother's Day"(1980) by the Kaufman brothers. I mean, what's not to love when at film's end the crazy mother of even crazier boys gets suffocated by one of their hapless female victims holding a giant, inflatable pair of lips. Meanwhile, the girl's OWN mother's voice--nagging and berating her as a child--plays over the soundtrack. Wonderful stuff!

Thanks for the memories.

Michael
New York City